Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default "Ripping" baseboard on a router table?

On 5/28/10 4:51 PM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:

No more a "rip" cut than if you removed 1/4" on a jointer .. .. just
semantics.

So there has to be a cut-off (waste) piece in order for it to be a rip?

Did I ever say that ?? ?? ?? I don't think so !! !! !!

From WIKIPEDIA : In woodworking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking, a *rip cut* is a cut made
parallel to the wood grain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_grain.
Rip cuts are commonly made with a table saw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_saw, but other types of saws can
also be used, including hand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_saw rip
saws http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_saw, radial arm saws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_arm_saw and band saws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_saw.

Kinda implies that we're talking about types of saws when referring to a
rip cut .. not routers or jointers. In other words .. you can certainly
NARROW a board using a jointer or router .. but it doesn't meet the
criteria for calling it a "rip". I mean .. if someone gave you a piece
of lumber and asked you to rip it in half .. would you head to the
router table or the table saw ?? I don't think a rip operation mandates
a piece of waste .. I think a rip operation implies it will be done with
some type of saw as stated in the WIKI definition. Heck .. I don't care
if you get a trained beaver to chew it off .. it will result in a
narrower piece of stock, but it wouldn't have been ripped to get there.

I know that... and apparently you know that....and any experienced
woodworker knows that. But you gave the guy a hard time for using the
wrong words.... when we all knew what he was talking about from his
description.

So I would think the only confusion would be from inexperienced
woodworkers, whose advice one probably wouldn't want. Nor from people
who would get "weird" on someone asking for advice but not use the exact
terminology you prefer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)