Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

Default "Ripping" baseboard on a router table?

No more a "rip" cut than if you removed 1/4" on a jointer .. .. just
semantics.

So there has to be a cut-off (waste) piece in order for it to be a rip?

Did I ever say that ?? ?? ?? I don't think so !! !! !!

From WIKIPEDIA : In woodworking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking, a *rip cut* is a cut made
parallel to the wood grain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_grain.
Rip cuts are commonly made with a table saw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_saw, but other types of saws can
also be used, including hand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_saw rip
saws http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_saw, radial arm saws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_arm_saw and band saws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_saw.

Kinda implies that we're talking about types of saws when referring to a
rip cut .. not routers or jointers. In other words .. you can
certainly NARROW a board using a jointer or router .. but it doesn't
meet the criteria for calling it a "rip". I mean .. if someone gave
you a piece of lumber and asked you to rip it in half .. would you head
to the router table or the table saw ?? I don't think a rip operation
mandates a piece of waste .. I think a rip operation implies it will be
done with some type of saw as stated in the WIKI definition. Heck .. I
don't care if you get a trained beaver to chew it off .. it will result
in a narrower piece of stock, but it wouldn't have been ripped to get there.