Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default New (to me) JPS 7x12 band saw

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:21:27 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

I just got a call from my heat-treater today, the new blanking die we sent
him turn out to be cold-roll (steel not from the truck load).

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to rescue it by case hardening
and
re-grinding? I'm assuming not, but it'd be nice to know.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Sure, that would do the job but the die makes a simple 2" round from 19
gauge steel. The die is 3" OD x 1.5" high with a 2" bore and counterbored
2-1/16" x 1.25" and there are two bolt holes. A simple die, about 1.5 hours
to machine, we'll just make another one from O-1. The one being replaced
lasted 40 years and only failed due to an alignment issue during set-up by a
trainee. What I don't get is how the machinist didn't know by the cut that
the steel wasn't O-1.