Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New (to me) JPS 7x12 band saw

I've never heard of JPS but the unit looks nice and the salesman claims it
was used by a supplier to cut of samples of some material and it is very low
hours. And, we got a great deal! It kinda' look like a "Jet". Does
anybody have one of these? If so, could I get a copy of a manual? (Not
that we EVER read such things)

http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inven...hp?item=MV2519

Does anybody want to buy my 4x6 Johnson? It's got a hydraulic feed cylinder
but it is making a bit of gearbox noise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CORRECTION:

6X9 NOT 4X6

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 27, 2:42*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I've never heard of JPS but the unit looks nice and the salesman claims it
was used by a supplier to cut of samples of some material and it is very low
hours. *And, we got a great deal! *It kinda' look like a "Jet". *Does
anybody have one of these? *If so, could I get a copy of a manual? *(Not
that we EVER read such things)

http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inven...hp?item=MV2519

Does anybody want to buy my 4x6 Johnson? *It's got a hydraulic feed cylinder
but it is making a bit of gearbox noise.

A quick google shows up a "JPS" saw as Jet Pro Shop. Might be the
same, might be different. Try the model number on their web site.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/27/2010 1:42 PM, Buerste wrote:
I've never heard of JPS but the unit looks nice and the salesman claims it
was used by a supplier to cut of samples of some material and it is very low
hours. And, we got a great deal! It kinda' look like a "Jet". Does
anybody have one of these? If so, could I get a copy of a manual? (Not
that we EVER read such things)

http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inven...hp?item=MV2519

$769 new

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/97009.pdf
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...saw-97009.html

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/27/2010 1:56 PM, Winston wrote:
On 5/27/2010 1:42 PM, Buerste wrote:
I've never heard of JPS but the unit looks nice and the salesman
claims it
was used by a supplier to cut of samples of some material and it is
very low
hours. And, we got a great deal! It kinda' look like a "Jet". Does
anybody have one of these? If so, could I get a copy of a manual? (Not
that we EVER read such things)

http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inven...hp?item=MV2519

$769 new

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/97009.pdf
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...saw-97009.html

--Winston

You can order the '5S Hand Wheel' from Harbor Freight: parts AtSymbol harborfreight.com

Prolly you will also want:
3 Washer 1/2"x28xt2
4 Key 5x5x15L

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:42:20 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

I've never heard of JPS but the unit looks nice and the salesman claims it
was used by a supplier to cut of samples of some material and it is very low
hours. And, we got a great deal! It kinda' look like a "Jet". Does
anybody have one of these? If so, could I get a copy of a manual? (Not
that we EVER read such things)

http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inven...hp?item=MV2519

Does anybody want to buy my 4x6 Johnson? It's got a hydraulic feed cylinder
but it is making a bit of gearbox noise.

That machine btw...is the same as my Dayton and is the same as a Jet and
a...etc etc etc.

They are a decent enough machine if everything is working properly.
Virtually every one Ive seen had issues with the downfeed
cylinder..which I too had to replace. I primarily use it for cutting
aluminum, and use the big Emerson for other metals.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

That machine btw...is the same as my Dayton and is the same as a Jet and
a...etc etc etc.

They are a decent enough machine if everything is working properly.
Virtually every one Ive seen had issues with the downfeed
cylinder..which I too had to replace. I primarily use it for cutting
aluminum, and use the big Emerson for other metals.

Gunner

What goes wrong with the cylinder? Is it repairable or just replace when it
goes? How much are they? Maybe I should salvage the one on my Johnson. (I
just like saying "my Johnson")

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:13:14 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

That machine btw...is the same as my Dayton and is the same as a Jet and
a...etc etc etc.

They are a decent enough machine if everything is working properly.
Virtually every one Ive seen had issues with the downfeed
cylinder..which I too had to replace. I primarily use it for cutting
aluminum, and use the big Emerson for other metals.

Gunner

What goes wrong with the cylinder? Is it repairable or just replace when it
goes? How much are they? Maybe I should salvage the one on my Johnson. (I
just like saying "my Johnson")

Seals go out. And if mine were of any indication..most of them were
"crimpled" closed construction, not something you can pull apart and
replace the seals in.

I simply replaced mine with a small hydraulic cylinder of a proper
stroke. I had some kicking around..so it wasnt a big deal. For those in
Yorba Linda...shrug

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Seals go out. And if mine were of any indication..most of them were
"crimpled" closed construction, not something you can pull apart and
replace the seals in.

I simply replaced mine with a small hydraulic cylinder of a proper
stroke. I had some kicking around..so it wasnt a big deal. For those in
Yorba Linda...shrug

Gunner

--

Great, I have repaired those repair-proof cylinders before but usually the
time is better spent. I like getting new equipment, it's a morale boost for

A friend that had another brush company died a number of years ago and his
widow gave me a truck load of tool steel rounds 4' long and up to 8" dia..
Unfortunately, none of it is marked and she can't find the purchasing
records. Now, it's worth slicing off a piece of each and getting it all
analyzed. We knew the old saw was on it's last legs so we.ve been looking
for a couple of months. Everything we've found was too big, small,
expensive or just wrong. So, we settled for this saw and paid $350. Used
tool dealers are very happy to cut deals these days.

I just got a call from my heat-treater today, the new blanking die we sent
him turn out to be cold-roll (steel not from the truck load).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:21:27 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

[...]

Of course they are. Most of them, particularly in your neck of the
woods, are overloaded with used machinery. Worse than in the 1999-2000
recession. Only the hobby guys are actually buying any quanity of
stuff.

I just got a call from my heat-treater today, the new blanking die we sent
him turn out to be cold-roll (steel not from the truck load).

Cringe...not P20 eh? Ouch

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:21:27 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

I just got a call from my heat-treater today, the new blanking die we sent
him turn out to be cold-roll (steel not from the truck load).

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to rescue it by case hardening and
re-grinding? I'm assuming not, but it'd be nice to know.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:21:27 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

I just got a call from my heat-treater today, the new blanking die we sent
him turn out to be cold-roll (steel not from the truck load).

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to rescue it by case hardening
and
re-grinding? I'm assuming not, but it'd be nice to know.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Sure, that would do the job but the die makes a simple 2" round from 19
gauge steel. The die is 3" OD x 1.5" high with a 2" bore and counterbored
2-1/16" x 1.25" and there are two bolt holes. A simple die, about 1.5 hours
to machine, we'll just make another one from O-1. The one being replaced
lasted 40 years and only failed due to an alignment issue during set-up by a
trainee. What I don't get is how the machinist didn't know by the cut that
the steel wasn't O-1.