Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default OT Bought a 2001 Ford Ranger

"RogerN" wrote:

I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger 4X4 truck last weekend, 106K miles, 4.0L 6 Cyl.

I'm wanting to find out what items I can expect to need to replace within
the next 50k to 100K miles. Such as sensors, ball joints, U-joints, tie rod
ends, etc. If I understand correctly, the engine should easily last over
200K miles, maybe 300k. Just wanting to know what to expect, I'm hoping to
do preventative maintenance instead of waiting for a failure.

I had a 1991 2.9 V6. It made 236,500 miles when a ring cracked.

Alignments were a bitch since bushings had to be changed.

I had to have the front coils replaced and the rear springs re-arched. I didn't carry
heavy loads.

Two water pumps. Might have been only one if I had checked the viscous fan drive for
play. The fan drive ate the pump and the replacement pump.

Had to replace the drive shaft u joints early in life like still in warranty, paid for an
upgraded driveshaft instead of getting the same OEM crap that died in warranty. Felt
ripped on that one.

Automatic locking hubs were replaced by manual hubs early in life but after warranty.

The front axle joints were replaced once on both sides.

Tranny was solid. Changed fluid at 50K and again at 100K.

Good luck, it wasn't a bad truck considering it was a 4x4 with the extra wear items.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller