View Single Post
  #33   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default 3 phase

Iggy sez:

"My own converter gives decent voltages (close to one another) both
with and without load. I did test it"

"Decent" is not a very definitive expression, so readers will have a hard time qualifying their
voltages. Also, you failed to mention if your RPC had correction caps or not. Per my statement
that: RPC idlers and loads are connected in parallel but their currents do not flow in parallel (by
the classic definition anyway). It follows that if the idler to load ratio is great enough you
don't really need to worry about PF correction caps. This in keeping with the well known
characteristic of a very low impedance swamping any regulation effects in a parallel connected load.

Bob Swinney
"Ignoramus26467" wrote in message
On 2010-05-28, Robert Swinney wrote:
Don sez:

Not quite. The balance is a function of the load. Tune it
for proper balance with one machine (load) and if you turn on a
different one with a different horsepower, the balance will be off a
bit, as will it be when you turn on a second machine while the first is
running. (Each extra machine adds to the rotary transformer capability,
but does not add to the tuning capacitance.)

Well, it depends on how sensitive to additional "load" your RPC is. Tuning, (actually power
factor
correction) in a well designed RPC is quite broad and is proportional to the ratio of load to
idler
motor HP. In a good RPC voltage regulation over minor load variations is no problem. Don's
implication is correct; balance is a function of load. Good RPCs are designed to operate with a
fairly constant load to idler ratio. That is reason is it good practice to have a 1.5 to 2, or
greater, ratio.

i