Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default OT Bought a 2001 Ford Ranger

On May 28, 6:58*am, "RogerN" wrote:
I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger 4X4 truck last weekend, 106K miles, 4.0L 6 Cyl.

I'm wanting to find out what items I can expect to need to replace within
the next 50k to 100K miles. *Such as sensors, ball joints, U-joints, tie rod
ends, etc. *If I understand correctly, the engine should easily last over
200K miles, maybe 300k. *Just wanting to know what to expect, I'm hoping to
do preventative maintenance instead of waiting for a failure.

RogerN

I had a 99 4 liter 5 speed, I think the schmuck I bought it from left
a spark plug loose. Had a slight ping from day 1 I owned it, so I
didn't realize it was a brewing problem- ended up cracking a head, had
80k on it or so and just but a long block in it- That one never
pinged.

Drove that puppy to about 225,000 miles and the (mazda toploader)
transmission started making noise, so I sold it for parts and got my
subaru. The mainshaft in the mazda trans is actually 2 end-end shafts
held together with a bearing so they can spin freely from each other,
and when that bearing wears it makes a bit of noise before failing
catastrophically. It is repairable, though.

I thought the 4.0 was a great engine.

I needed a driveshaft in there somewhere, and it liked to go through
front wheel bearings, but i did drive it pretty hard.
Needed ball joints and the drag link at some point too, but again, I
beat on it pretty bad.

Never had a problem with the 4WD except for needing to clean up the
contact in the electric shift motor.

There's a great site for these trucks- www.therangerstation.com

Dave