Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New (to me) JPS 7x12 band saw

On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:13:14 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

That machine btw...is the same as my Dayton and is the same as a Jet and
a...etc etc etc.

They are a decent enough machine if everything is working properly.
Virtually every one Ive seen had issues with the downfeed
cylinder..which I too had to replace. I primarily use it for cutting
aluminum, and use the big Emerson for other metals.

Gunner

What goes wrong with the cylinder? Is it repairable or just replace when it
goes? How much are they? Maybe I should salvage the one on my Johnson. (I
just like saying "my Johnson")

Seals go out. And if mine were of any indication..most of them were
"crimpled" closed construction, not something you can pull apart and
replace the seals in.

I simply replaced mine with a small hydraulic cylinder of a proper
stroke. I had some kicking around..so it wasnt a big deal. For those in
Yorba Linda...shrug

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate