Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default 3 phase

Karl Townsend wrote:
I think I hate my son. I've been getting stuff together to make a *real
nice* phase converter. One that would do a couple 100 amp machines at the
same time.

He just called and told me he has REAL three phase on his property. Less
than a hundred feet from the machine shed. I'd give my left nut for real
three phase. I got a price of 20K several years back and should have done
it.

He may still get sticker shock on the hook up price and minimum monthy
charge but its there. he's going to ask this week. His one question 440 or
220? I'm thinking he's better with 220 and put the house on it to get some
useage. Good idea?

It's the sort of thing that you'd normally do a
cost analysis on. Figure how many amps where and
how much copper you'd save with 480 verses the
cost of a transformer and it's magnetizing and
copper losses.

If I were to just pull a number out of my ass,
I'd say less than 200 amperes for the shop, stick
to 240. Maybe Pete C. could chime in with a
professional opinion.