Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5816 Ignoramus5816 is offline

Default 3 phase

On 2010-05-26, Karl Townsend wrote:
I think I hate my son. I've been getting stuff together to make a *real
nice* phase converter. One that would do a couple 100 amp machines at the
same time.

He just called and told me he has REAL three phase on his property. Less
than a hundred feet from the machine shed. I'd give my left nut for real
three phase. I got a price of 20K several years back and should have done
it.

He may still get sticker shock on the hook up price and minimum monthy
charge but its there. he's going to ask this week. His one question 440 or
220? I'm thinking he's better with 220 and put the house on it to get some
useage. Good idea?

I hate him too, but I think that 220 is better, as it is less
troublesome and some machines run on 220 only. 440v only machiens are
more rare, IMHO.

For a real nice phase converter, I can sell you a 25 HP 1750 RPM
motor, for $150.