Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default lead free solder

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Remember also, that most of us outside of the USA are in a slightly
different position from you folks in that we must not, officially under
threat of law, do anything to compromise the RoHS certification of a
product. That includes using non RoHS compliant replacement parts, and
solder to fix them in with ...

I'm just curious, how would this "threat of law" scenario play out?
Assume some authority finds out that you've got a roll of 63/37 stashed
under the floorboards, (or a bin of old leaded components) and you pull
it out on occasion for an illegal repair. Would the cops come? Throw you
in the slammer? Would you be facing jail time, a fine, revocation of
your business license?

The usual procedure with laws like this is to find one small operator
who has made a mistake and smash him to pieces with the maximum of
publicity. It is supposed to frighten the others and is a lot cheaper
than chasing them as individuals.

It would have been a lot better if the manufacturers in other countries
had got together and told the EU that they were going to continue to use
lead in their solder. If Europe didn't like it, they could do without
the products. (Did I hear somewhere that this was exactly what the Swiss
watchmaking industry did - or did I imagine it?)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk