Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default lead free solder

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Remember also, that most of us outside of the USA are in a slightly
different position from you folks in that we must not, officially under
threat of law, do anything to compromise the RoHS certification of a
product. That includes using non RoHS compliant replacement parts, and
solder to fix them in with ...

I'm just curious, how would this "threat of law" scenario play out?
Assume some authority finds out that you've got a roll of 63/37 stashed
under the floorboards, (or a bin of old leaded components) and you pull
it out on occasion for an illegal repair. Would the cops come? Throw you
in the slammer? Would you be facing jail time, a fine, revocation of
your business license?

I'm reminded of my business neighbor a number of years back, who had a
600 watt amplifier on his CB radio. (Legally, CBs are limited to 4
watts, IIRC) I called the FCC, gave him his name and address. They said,
"Sorry, we don't enforce that law. It's too costly."

I'm guessing you're in an analogous situation, and that short of hanging
a giant neon sign over your shop that says "**** RoHS, we still use
lead," you'd never be bothered. But, my guesses are often wrong ...