Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing in wall sillcock

On May 24, 1:19*pm, "james" wrote:
The 25 year old faucet in my backyard is near failure. It squeaked when
turned and it's not a metalic squeak, but twisting-the-cork-off-a-bottle
kind of squeak, and water drips out of the handle at certain point. I have
managed to adjust it so that water is shut off and is not dripping out of
the handle.

This sillcock goes into the house in between a wall. On one side of the wall
is a kitchen cabinet, on the other side is the living room. I have to choose
one of the walls to cut an opening for repair.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12296239_88hEN

On the cabinet side, the height of the pipe is 1 inch from the middle shelf,
and the shelf is not made to be removable. Even if the middle shelf is
removed, it would still be a tight space to work in.

On the living room side, it is easy to cut the hole to work on the pipe, but
repairing the drywall may leave a sign of repair due to slightly mismatched
paint and texture.

Any words of wisdom?

Remove the cabinet to access the wall...

Cut out the drywall paneling to access the pipe...

Repair pipe/spigot as needed...

Repair hole in drywall, re-taping the joints and using joint compound
as needed sanding between coats...

Repaint the wall section behind the cabinet a the same color as
it is now... It will be less noticeable having repaired and repainted
the wall inside a cabinet than on the wall in the living room near
a corner...

Rehang the cabinet on the wall after you have repaired the pipe
and the drywall...

~~ Evan