Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave H.[_2_] Dave H.[_2_] is offline

Default Workshop Practice

"Searcher7" wrote...
I was going to add some of the workshop Practice books to my
collection, but wanted get feedback first. Particularly suggestions
for the best ones, because I'm sure all of them are not great books.

I've read that s possible problem is that they speak in metric and
some are outdated, or geared toward the UK reader. Nevertheless any
advice would be appreciated.

I have a bunch of 'em, if anything I find they're not metric enough (rather
than models etc. I tend to work on japanese motorcycles), but the principles
haven't changed so much and you can always figure the conversions if you
have to. There's definitely an emphasis on model engineering and
"traditional" practices (no CNC / CAD / CAM for a start), but most of the
tools and techniques scale pretty well - lucky, as my old deflicted eyes
don't cope so well at small scales

Ones I'd recommend are the ones on heat treatment, milling in the lathe
(until I can afford a bridgie/clone), screwcutting and "workholding in the
lathe", the tool and cutter sharpening book's good (and has a few plans for
useful grinder accessories and such), following on from those the book on
dividing's pretty good too, or for beginners the basic benchwork and various
hints + tips books are very useful.

HTH,
Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader