Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default lead free solder

In article ,
Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

One problem occurs if you use leaded solder on surface-mounted
components. Lead amalgamates with the silver that is "fired" onto these
components, ruining their electrical connection.

Huh? What the devil are you talking about?

This is not new. Tektronix used to include a bit of silver bearing
solder with their scopes so you wouldn't ruin the plated ceramic
terminal strips if you changed out parts.

Jeff

So adding tin/lead solder to a silver component terminal turns the
connection into what, a non-conductive roofing shingle or something? I'm
pretty sure I would have heard from a customer or two if the thousands
of RoHS components I've soldered with 63/37 weren't conducting
electricity.