Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default compressed-air drills

On 5/24/10 11:41 PM, Josepi wrote:
Apparently you have some miscontrued notions about air powered nailguns. Did
you think a device that can fire a 3.5 inch nail with barbs through 3.5
inches of spruce or pine couldn't hurt your body or fire right through your
hand?

Show me where I wrote that?

The three I own shoot nails farther than the eye can see in the sky. One can
only track them, depending on the sky and background, about three to four
farmers fields and then they disappear, being too small for the human eye at
about 500 metres. Yes, that is over 1/4 mile.

Bull****. You're caught in a massive exaggeration and you're trying to
save face.

Perhaps you are thinking staple guns are framing nailers. Perhap you are you
just trolling or actually never used a compressed air nailgun? You know
Paslode, Hatachi, or other **FRAMING** nailgun. Newer styles are doing
multiple impacts to eliminate some of these nasties. Pretty hard to believe
you have ever used one.

I've used plenty of framing nailers, air and gas. And I've held back the
saftly tip and fired away. Best they'll do is about 50 yards and that's
probably a liberal estimate. Air nailers are about force over a short
distance, not velocity.

Even a nail shot from a powder actuated nailer, which is basically a .22
cal handgun, isn't going to travel 1/4 mile, simply due to the fact that
it'll tumble through the air and lose momentum.

For sake of argument, put a barrel with rifling on a framing air nailer,
stick a bullet (not a whole shell) in it and fire, so that you have a
spinning, aerodynamic object flying out.... and it's not going much
farther.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)