Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default Replacing a sill plate

On May 25, 1:14*am, Mac Cool wrote:
We have water damage from a leaking sink drain inside a kitchen wall.
Unfortunately it went on for a while and the sill is rotten which allowed
the floor joists to sink and well... you get the idea. The insurance
company is telling me they won't pay for it (they won't pay for rot damage
that is caused over weeks or months, I guess they only pay for rot damage
caused in a day). Anyway, how difficult is something like this to fix? I
assume we'll have to pull out the cabinets (needs doing anyway), pull out
the floor, jack up the joists and ... then what? I'm not planning on
DIYing this but I'm looking for an idea of what is involved.

Do you have access to it? I had a sill and rim joist replaced fifteen
years ago. It wasn't a big job at all; $275 (but that was 15 years
ago). I can see all sorts of possible complications, though. Replace
it with PT.