Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default compressed-air drills

On Mon, 24 May 2010 23:07:24 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 5/24/10 10:56 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:42:07 -0400,
wrote:

I was doing a section of a walkout basement wall (pony), laying on the
gravel inside of an fresh poured foundation. I raised the stud up a bit
with a spare 2x4 to nail a plate on. The gun must have caught the bottom
edge of the plate and enabled firing the nail. When I pulled the trigger my
partner, holding the other ned plate on a 10' ceiling wall, jumped and
screamed and was shot in the foot. I thought it was a joke but on removal of
the safety-toed workboot, was a bruise just above the toe cap and a bent
down toe cap, This nail went between both plates and the gravel they were
sitting, almost ten feet and damaged the boot at the other end.

A busted thumb is nothing compared to the nail I have seen stuck in a
person's breastbones and one through a guy's hand..yummm...LOL

I have shot things with them over half a km away. They definitely pack some
power.

Anyway...our inspectors won't even enter a site until all nailguns are put
down on the floor. Of coure the Electrical Inspector won't climb a ladder
one step either.

wrote in message
I guess I can't say what goes on in the UK, but if there were stats on
tool injuries, I'm guessing there would be more broken thumbs from
hammers than busted kneecaps from air nailers misfiring.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...d-with-nailgun

What does that have to do with the discussion?

I stand corrected... it's muuuuuch more common to be shot 30 times in
the head with a nail gun than hitting one's thumb with a hammer.

I recall some years ago, a fellow was doing some work at..IRRC a
McDonalds..and fired a nailgun into what he thought was a stud in the
wall. It unfortunately was only sheetrock, and the nail killed one of
the girls working there, some distance away.

I cant find it on the net..anyone?

There's probably a reason you can't find it.

If the guy, from a few weeks ago, can paint with a nail gun, they must be
dangerous projectiles. Video doesn't lie. You saw it! ;-)

BTW, I think the case in question was a Hilti. ...a little different beast
than a pneumatic nailer.