Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Workshop Practice

On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

I was going to add some of the workshop Practice books to my
collection, but wanted get feedback first. Particularly suggestions
for the best ones, because I'm sure all of them are not great books.

I've read that s possible problem is that they speak in metric and
some are outdated, or geared toward the UK reader. Nevertheless any
advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

=======
I have Law's book on gears, and it is excellent.
http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cut.../dp/0852429118

Sandhu's spindle book is interesting, but I found it to be
of little practical value in the stuff I used to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Workshop-Pract...752590&sr=1-53

Tubal Cain's book was helpful when I didn't have access to a
vertical mill.
http://www.amazon.com/Workshop-Pract...4752750&sr=1-4

Three books that are on sale at Enco will be of more use for
basic home shop machining in the US a
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...MPXNO=12436289

You can also get the workshop practice series at
http://www.powells.com/s?header=Sear...m&kw=law+gears
http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/wo...26_videos.html
You also need a copy of machinery's handbook -- new is good
if you are into cnc/metric but the older ones emphasize
manual machining topics.
One used book source that I have had luck with is
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qw...*listing*title
Be careful when you order to not get stuck with S&H charges.

also see
http://mcduffee-associates.us/machin...ning_books.htm

let the group know what you get and how useful you find it.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).