Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY skylight?

On Sat, 22 May 2010 20:00:25 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:41:39 -0400, Edward Reid
wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:11:13 -0700, Oren wrote:
http://www.solatube.com/residential/...ries/index.php
Thanks. I should have added that I expect exposed decking and rafters over
the porch, or at least a ceiling directly on the underside of the rafters.
So no need for a tube, though of course I wouldn't mind buying from
Solatube if they have the right product. But I was thinking more like 10 to
20 sq ft of effective skylight, and it looks like the Solatube products are
just over 1 or 2 sq ft, depending on the model.

Edward

Maybe some product from a company that makes greehouse panels?

Don't forget Solatubes ain't just tubes. I don't remember if the optics
are at top or bottom, but they pump a lot more light than a simple 12"
pipe would.

But to answer OP's original question- as roof is being redone, frame in
a curb around the opening, and just have the roofers treat it like any
other vertical joint, with flashing folded over top of the curb. If the
weatherstripping for whatever you put up there isn't sitting in standing
in water, it won't have to work very hard.

And Solatubes are EXTREMELY pricey, compared to a standard sky-light.