Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerome Meekings Jerome Meekings is offline

Default compressed-air drills

allen476 wrote:

On May 22, 11:26 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project
requires a new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is
showing its age a bit, or to be more precise, the batteries are showing
their age -- building a deck, I'll definitely drain the batteries in
much less time than it takes to recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g.
saw one at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to
wondering... almost every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to
prevent overtightening, or sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an
air drill with such a clutch?

We are getting away from what the original question is. I have not
seen an air drill with a clutch only because they wouldn't be of much
use. Air tools are specific in use not like electric which tries to
cover many uses. So hence why they don't have a clutch because there
are air impact drivers and air screwdrivers.

There are also air impact screwdrivers.
and there are air Clutch Screwdrivers
http://www.airtekltd.com/gison_9.htm

I do agree that if air
powered was better that you would see many more contractors using them
(except nailers).

I have an air drill, It is nice for drilling wood because of the low
torque and high rpm, but I would not try to drive screws with it.

Allen

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml