Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default compressed-air drills

RonB wrote:
Well, you can, but a battery powered impact driver works a lot better.

Yes, I just bought an impact driver and that would be my tool of choice.
It takes a lot less juice to pound in a screw than with traditional
drivers, so the batteries should last a good bit longer. No need to
pre-drill either as far as power goes, but I probably still would to
minimize splitting.

Good point I missed in my previous post because I was using a drill
and driver for the the deck I just finished. You have to be careful
not to bury the screw, but my impact driver is actually easier to
control than either my corded or battery drill motors, and is less
likely to twist your wrist as you get fatigued. It runs quite a while
on a charge too.

I haven't used mine yet other than to "test" it out and what really
amazed me is I used it on some old, large slotted screws that I had
laying around. I tossed most slotted screws I had because power drivers
don't work well with them, but these were fairly large, so I kept them.
The damned impact driver drove them in with no problem, no cam out
like always happens with slotted screws...

I also have an air screw driver that will twist your arm off if you let
it, but it is too slow for deck use. It was my favorite screw driver for
years, but with the nice small and compact cordless thing-ees of today,
the air driver lives in the bottom drawer...

--
Jack
Those who trade liberty for security have neither.