Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY skylight?

On May 23, 10:48*am, "MIB" wrote:
wrote in message

Ditto the above. *I'd had Velux for 15 years that include electric
motors and I have large oak trees that are nearby. *Not a single
problem. *I'm sure if you Google this group you will find many similar
comments about Velux. *I can't recall anyone here complaining about
them.

I think you would be asking for lots of problems trying to make your
own instead of using a proven solution. *And I think you are focused
too much on the polycarbonate vs glass issue. *The solar tube idea
could be OK, but I would go with the true skylights for the
application as I think they are a lot more visually appealing.

Lexan is a proven solution. *What is wrong with using it?

Lexan is a material, not a complete solution. It's like saying you
can use glass for a window. But how it's mounted, sealed, made
weatherproof for the particular application is still a major factor in
whether it's a viable solution.