Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerome Meekings Jerome Meekings is offline

Default compressed-air drills

Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

Despite what others have been saying I have recently bought an air
impact driver. Of course as with any tool you get the quality you pay
for. Although as far as I know there are few really cheep quality air
tools yet.

For me the advantages are clear

1) there are no batteries that will die if not used for a months and any
way in about 3 years.
2) Smaller than any battery impact driver.
3) The air hose is far more flexible and longer than any corded driver.
4) The service life is much longer than any electric powered drill.
5) Over haul when eventually needed is it is easy and fast

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml