Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default "Adjust Tru" Chucks

On 2010-05-24, Searcher7 wrote:
On 2010-05-23, Searcher7 wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

Now it isn't "Adjust-Tru" but since it is on special I am considering
finally picking this up.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=3047

* * * * Can you get the backplate for it for your lathe?

Yes. LMS sells them.

Good!

* * * * Or can you make your own backplate?

That's something I have to learn.

And for this style, it is a little trickier than for a threaded
spindle nose. Here, you have to make a recess which is a good fit on
the boss on the left-hand end (as shown in your URL below), and then
drill and tap three or four holes, depending on the number of jaws on
the chuck (though with a backplate, I would go for three holes no matter
what). That spindle nose has 6 holes patterned so either a three-hole
pattern at 120 degree intervals, or a 4-hole pattern at 90 degree angles
will work, with one hole serving in both patterns.

You need to make either a three-hole or a four-hole pattern to
match, and without the rotary table and the ability to set the mill
spindle precisely to the right radius, it is easier to use a spare
spindle (such as the above) and use centering punches sized to fit the
holes to mark the holes you need -- then drill and tap them without
letting the holes wander.

* * * * I forget whether your lathe is a threaded spindle, or has bolts
passing through the spindle nose flange to lock down the chuck
backplate.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2027

[ ... ]

The 5C collet chuck uses the same adaptor plate as the 5" 4-jaw chuck
I was going to get.
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2346

O.K.

I say "was" because I wanted the option of mounting the same chuck on
my rotary table which will no longer be the Phase II they have since
I've now won a Vertex on eBay. (I should probably be thinking of a
slimline chuck for the rotary table anyway if I can make an adaptor
for it).

O.K. Given the rotary table, and the lathe, you can probably
make an adaptor plate which centers on the table, accepts the chuck, and
bolts to the table's T-slots.

* * * * Call them and make sure that you get the right combination of
chuck, backplate, and possible other things for *your* lathe.

* * * * Note that if the concentricity is not correct, you can't easily
fix that unlike with the "Adjust-Tru" feature. *It all depends on just
how accurate you want your collets to be -- but usually collets (with
the right adaptor) are the choice for concentricity

Reading between the lines, since I have that 5C collet chuck we
discuss a couple weeks ago,..

(http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...lander/Tools/?
action=view&current=5CColletChuck5.jpg)

...the LMS chuck wouldn't be worth it and I should instead make a
larger jump to one with "adjust-Tru" when the time comes, correct?

Yes. Of course, none of these would be necessary if you had a
large enough lathe to accept the 5C collets directly in the spindle
nosepiece, or in an adaptor which fits the spindle's internal taper.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564