Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default compressed-air drills

On Sun, 23 May 2010 17:20:54 -0500, the renowned
" wrote:

On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:53:03 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 5/23/10 3:03 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
adding bricks to their cart, imo.

Dragging an air hose beats swinging a hammer, though.

Who swings a hammer? :-)
A gas framing nailer is faster, lighter, and more convenient than any of
those.

Never used one. I generally don't move much once set up, so there isn't much
dragging anyway. The big advantage of an air nailer for me is no smiles in
awkward-to-nail places. My thumbs feel better after, too. ;-)

FWIW, last deck I did, I was much faster laying down the decking with my
22 oz Estwing and galvanized spirals than with a drill and screws.

Sure, but I've seen even ring-shank nails pop. Stainless screws are the only
way to fly.

I can definitely see where I could be faster with one of those screw
self-feeders with the long extension and the depth stop driver. But I'm
one of those "one tap to set, 2-3 swings to drive it home" hammer guys,
so I can get a pretty fast rhythm going.

Saving time isn't high on my list. ;-) Saving aggravation later, is.

I see the Cadillac way of making a deck...

- Autofeed stand up Screw gun
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...4654692&sr=8-1

- collated 316 (!) stainless steel deck screw$$$
http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/c...ews_strips.htm

-Bluwood (tm) treated wood
http://www.lowes.ca/products/bluwood.aspx

Best regards,