Posted to uk.d-i-y
spamlet spamlet is offline

Default cables in walls - horizontal from sockets?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/05/2010 02:34, spamlet wrote:
wrote in message
David Robinson wrote:

Is it really OK to run them between sockets horizontally?

I've never seen it done - people usually run up from the floor (or
down from the ceiling) to each sockets, even when a horizontal run
would be easier.

Hmmm... try this, from a property I did up not long ago (and yes, I did
completely rewire it!):
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

If this OK?

Yes, horizontal is fine

David

Not much choice if floor is concrete: just a couple of feet with the
angle
grinder fills whole house up with incredible amount of plaster dust
though!

Well you can go up into the floor void above...

(wall chaser with dust extraction is significantly better BTW than an
ordinary AG).

John.

Only needed to do it once so far John: I only do the odd one when say
furniture - in this case a piano - prevents access to an existing socket.
Otherwise I've tended to drill and chisel rather than use an angle grinder
(old house mostly very very soft plaster), but in this spot the buggers had
concreted up the wall under the plaster and I had nothing to cut it with but
a borrowed angle grinder. I have to say I was pretty impressed by the total
white out that a few seconds of cutting created! :-)