Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying new TV

On May 22, 12:03*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On May 20, 11:12 pm, "Ed *wrote:
*wrote

* * I told him I already had an HDMI cable. * He

proceeds to tell me that because this TV is "120hz", the cable I have
won't work and I need a new Monster cable for $100+.

Yes, but Monster uses oxygen free copper. * *That was their claim to fame
with speaker wire in the past.

At least in the case of speaker wire there was some remote basis to
argue that the characteristics of the cable could affect the sound
quality because the signal is analog. *Not saying that I believe their
oxygen free story, just that the cable characteristics do have an
affect on the analog signal. * In the case of HDMI, all you need to
determine at the ends of the cable are if the signal is high or low,
ie 1 or 0, so there is far less basis to believe a typical HDMI cable
needs to be anything special.

Hmm,
Really? digital bits should have no phase jitters to maintain signal
quality.

Not true. The digital signal can have phase shift as long as it's not
large compared to the bit interval.

Any how, how many people in the world can hear/see the
difference if we believe Monster's claim. There are better things to
spend my hard earned money on. All HDMI cables I use is from eBay
sellers in H.K. None of them gave me any sign of trouble. Maybe my eyes
and ears are inferior to detect the poor quality cable. I am an advanced
amateur musician all my life. I have pretty good set of ears, LOL!- Hide quoted text -