Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Buying new TV

aemeijers wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Ron" wrote

Yes, but Monster uses oxygen free copper. That was their claim to
fame
with speaker wire in the past.

At least in the case of speaker wire there was some remote basis to
argue that the characteristics of the cable could affect the sound

Bull. Google coat hangers vs monster cables.

Some years back, Stereo Review magazine blind tested expensive
speaker wires versus lamp cord. No difference.

Did their study note that the quality of the connections can make a
difference? I use a thick gauge of lamp cord instead of fancy speaker
wire, because I am a cheap SOB, but all my vintage sound equipment
uses push-in or binding post connections. For sound and video
applications where the cable needs ends put on it, the connectors on
the cheaper pre-mades are usually crap. The gold-plated connectors are
probably meaningless unless you live on a beach, but a quality
connector and a decent gauge of wire probably helps. Of course, I am
not talking about modern miniature stereos, DVD players, and tiny
speakers. The cables that come with those look like fishing line to me.

Many of the professional sound system installers for nightclubs use
rubber insulated #14 or #12 SO cord for speaker wiring. I'll use a
lot of plastic jacketed #18/2 stranded for 70 volt PA systems going
with a larger gage wire for the primary link only when getting into
power levels of 100 watts or more.

TDD

You can count me in with the "heavy gauge zip cord" crowd. I do tin the
ends to keep things neater. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but if
I am, it's not really that important to me.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel