Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default cables in walls - horizontal from sockets?

On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:43:26 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

David Hansen wrote:

Running unprotected cables diagonally was not frowned upon until
IIRC sometime in the 1980s.

I noted recently on one of those DIY SOS programmes that the team
brought in to rectify a DIY bodger's work ran cables diagonally to
sockets. I wrote to the TV company concerned about the installation, but
predictably I received no reply.

I know there is one such cable in my house, but I can also understand why -
a vertical drop would bring the cable down directly on-top of the RSJs
supporting the floor between the house and the extension. It's wrong and if
I ever get round to re-wiring the extension I'll sort it (I did the rest of
the house when I moved in). In the meantime, as I know about it it's no
great problem.

SteveW