Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Aloris AXA16 vs. AXA16N

On 2010-05-21, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Bad practice following up to yourself, but I've verified by
physical examination some of the things which I suggested below.

On 2010-05-21, Searcher7 wrote:

[ ... ]

Perhaps if I clean the toolholder will slide down when the bar is
*just short* of the full open position.(Not likely though).

If you clean the dovetails, it is likely to make enough
of a difference. If it does not, then you perhaps need to disassemble
the holder and try to start the wedges back on at a different point in
the threads. It uses a multi-start thread to get enough vertical travel
from the limited lever rotation.

To take it apart:

1) Remove the hex nut at the top.

2) Withdraw the T-nut blank and vertical rod.

3) Rotate the lever to move the wedges downwards until
they come out the bottom.

4) Reposition the lever perhaps 30 degrees back towards
lock from the point at which the wedges came out.

5) Re-insert the wedges, and hold them pressed up while
you turn the lever to draw them in fully.

6) Check whether the lever has a more reasonable range.

7) If not, go back to 3 and repeat until you get the proper
lever position.

If you can't find a starting position for the threads which
gives a proper lever range, contact the vendor and see about a
replacement.

I've gone downstairs and tried what I suggested above with my
Phase-II Series 200 (BXA-sized) one -- since it is no longer mounted on
the lathe, having been replaced by the Dorian one.

Yes -- with the T-nut off the bottom, you can walk the wedges
out the bottom of the toolpost simply by operating the lever -- about a
couple of turns IIRC.

It is a three-start thread on the cylinder operated by the
lever, so there are only three positions which you need to try. But be
sure to tell by feel that *both* wedges have moved in to the next
thread start or you will wind up with one higher than the other (which
is what I suspect is part of the problem with yours).

BTW -- the screw *may* be to keep it from coming apart unless
you remove the screw. It is not present in my Phase-II wedge style
toolpost.

I see no practical use for the screw when I have mine apart.

Anyway -- the resetting of the two wedges on the cylindrical
screw operated by the lever is simple enough so I strongly recommend
trying it. It should fix all your problems. I found one of the three
possible positions with mine left the lever exactly where yours was.

The only remaining question is why an Aloris holder is so much
tighter a fit on your toolpost.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564