Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default The Bob Parker Anatek Blue ESR Meter

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I bought a new Blue ESR meter kit from Anatek recently. The kit was
received very quickly, and assembly was easy. The kit is neatly
packed, the circuit board is high quality and clearly marked for
correct component placement.

Anatek created an online forum for discussion of their products, so,
if someone encounters problems after assembly of the kit, they can
find several solutions and/or get quick help
http://www.anatekcorp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Aside from proper component placement, improper soldering technique
would probably be the only issue that an inexperienced kit builder or
DIY-type would experience.
If one is not trying to rush thru the assembly, there aren't likely
be any problems at completion.

I've intended to get one of the Bob Parker ESR models for many years,
but I procrastinate. I heard of the Procrastinators of America about
40 years ago but never got around to joining.

I had read possibly hundreds of positive comments about Bob's ESR
meters over the years, and new users continue to praise them.

I've used Sencore Z-Meters for lots of years, and the Sencore models
are reliable, and also offer many capacitor and inductor test-analyze
features/functions beyond ESR testing, but the Bob Parker ESR meter
is much more convenient to use for quickly checking caps on a board.
Before the Sencore units, I relied on a digital capacitance meter and
a leakage tester built from a magazine article in the 80s, scope and
DMM.

The Sencore units are very sensitive to any resistance of the
connections for the test cable.. oxidation at the front panel BNC
connector can prevent the circuits from zeroing properly (fault
condition). The Sencore test cable is about a 3' length of RG-62 B/U
which isn't as easily handled as the simple test leads of the Blue
ESR meter. The Blue ESR Meter is agreeable to to simple test leads
and different attachments such as alligator clips or test probes.

Like many others who like to or need to investigate circuit faults,
I'm also delighted with the Blue ESR Meter.

--
Cheers,
WB

I've used an original Bob Parker designed Dick Smith kit on a daily
basis for years, and have always found it a pleasure to use. When the
"Blue" was released by Anatek from Bob's design revisions, I built a
kit and wrote a review for an electronics trade magazine here in the
UK. I too found it easy to build, and I agree with you that any
reasonably experienced electronics enthusiast who can handle a
soldering iron, would be able to build the kit with a 99% chance of
'first time' success. As you have found, a fine instrument to own and
use, and a worthy successor to Bob's original design.

And no, I'm not connected to Bob (except as a friend on the 'net for
some years) or to John at Anatek, in any way !

Arfa

I have yet to read about anyone who disliked the Bob Parker ESR meter.
I love mine.

KUDOS to him!

--
Jim Yanik