Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default The Bob Parker Anatek Blue ESR Meter

I bought a new Blue ESR meter kit from Anatek recently. The kit was received
very quickly, and assembly was easy. The kit is neatly packed, the circuit
board is high quality and clearly marked for correct component placement.

Anatek created an online forum for discussion of their products, so, if
someone encounters problems after assembly of the kit, they can find several
solutions and/or get quick help
http://www.anatekcorp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Aside from proper component placement, improper soldering technique would
probably be the only issue that an inexperienced kit builder or DIY-type
would experience.
If one is not trying to rush thru the assembly, there aren't likely be any
problems at completion.

I've intended to get one of the Bob Parker ESR models for many years, but I
procrastinate. I heard of the Procrastinators of America about 40 years ago
but never got around to joining.

I had read possibly hundreds of positive comments about Bob's ESR meters
over the years, and new users continue to praise them.

I've used Sencore Z-Meters for lots of years, and the Sencore models are
reliable, and also offer many capacitor and inductor test-analyze
features/functions beyond ESR testing, but the Bob Parker ESR meter is much
more convenient to use for quickly checking caps on a board.
Before the Sencore units, I relied on a digital capacitance meter and a
leakage tester built from a magazine article in the 80s, scope and DMM.

The Sencore units are very sensitive to any resistance of the connections
for the test cable.. oxidation at the front panel BNC connector can prevent
the circuits from zeroing properly (fault condition).
The Sencore test cable is about a 3' length of RG-62 B/U which isn't as
easily handled as the simple test leads of the Blue ESR meter.
The Blue ESR Meter is agreeable to to simple test leads and different
attachments such as alligator clips or test probes.

Like many others who like to or need to investigate circuit faults, I'm also
delighted with the Blue ESR Meter.

--
Cheers,
WB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/20/2010 8:21 PM Wild_Bill spake thus:

I bought a new Blue ESR meter kit from Anatek recently. The kit was received
very quickly, and assembly was easy. The kit is neatly packed, the circuit
board is high quality and clearly marked for correct component placement.

So have you checked the ESR of the caps in the kit?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I've used an original Bob Parker designed Dick Smith kit on a daily basis
for years, and have always found it a pleasure to use. When the "Blue" was
released by Anatek from Bob's design revisions, I built a kit and wrote a
review for an electronics trade magazine here in the UK. I too found it easy
to build, and I agree with you that any reasonably experienced electronics
enthusiast who can handle a soldering iron, would be able to build the kit
with a 99% chance of 'first time' success. As you have found, a fine
instrument to own and use, and a worthy successor to Bob's original design.

And no, I'm not connected to Bob (except as a friend on the 'net for some
years) or to John at Anatek, in any way !

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I have yet to read about anyone who disliked the Bob Parker ESR meter.
I love mine.

KUDOS to him!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'll get right on that.
Funny that you should ask, but when doing repairs, I've been in the habit
for years, of checking replacement caps before installing them.
That would include a value, internal leakage and dielectric absorption tests
in addition to testing ESR.

I regularly check new stock as I purchase it, and again before installing
electrolytic caps.

IMO, it's probably best to buy parts like electrolytics from a supplier that
buys direct and has a fairly fast inventory turnover, like DigiKey.

Buying electrolytics from surplus dealers can result in some very old stock.
It seems that old stock is liquidated to sellers/brokers that package them
individually for retail sale and offer them to small/independent parts
distributors, or just sell them in bulk to surplus sellers. Much of the
stock available from the
second or third transaction sources would no longer pass new specification
testing.
They may function in a hobby circuit, but their reliability is likely to be
very low.

There are often date codes on some of the better brands of electrolytics
(the usual thru-hole type with wrappers), so when old date codes on new
parts are encountered, it's time to get a different supplier.

--
Cheers,
WB

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

So have you checked the ESR of the caps in the kit?

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill View Post
[...]

Hi Wild Bill
Happy to hear about your completed Dick Smith Blue ESR meter Kit
But has anyone got any idea where I can buy the original K-5207 Kit
I am a bit Old school No digital readouts for me. The Original kit had 9 LEDs
3 red 3yellow & 3green, but now it has been updated three or four times
I don't seem to be able to get hold of the original K-5207 kit(Ive got a blue ESR meter)don't try to convert me.Anyone got an old kit they never finished?