Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Urgent help needed! 1996 Chevy Silverado ignition key wont turn. My truck is stranded.

On Thu, 20 May 2010 18:32:18 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:

The lock is probably under tension - try turning the steering wheel hard
left while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , try turning it hard
right while turning the key . If that doesn't do it , have it towed to a
competent mechanic .

That is my first thought.

Other thoughts, try using the other key that came with the vehical. My normal key is
getting a bit touchy but the the other key on the fob I seldom use works just fine.

If no second key, take the VIN and your registration to a dealer and have them cut you a
new key from the codes.

Wes

Along those lines, if you've worn out a couple keys in the ignition
lock, it's about time to replace the lock.

Pete Keillor