Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Urgent help needed! 1996 Chevy Silverado ignition key wont turn.My truck is stranded.

On May 19, 9:55*pm, stryped wrote:
I have a 1996 chevy 4x4 silverado. The key is ont he off position and
wont turn. I bought a new cylinder, but in order to replace the old
cylinder you have to be able to put it in the "run" position which I
cant do. I have it the column and steering wheel all to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I will have to drill it out I guess. If I cant get
it in run where exactly would I drill? Directly in the key hole?

I really appreciate any help. My truck is stuck at work and I plan on
leaving early in the morning to work on it.

Also , does anyone know if the air bag needs to be removed?

I really appreciate it!

Of all the things you COULD do, I'm not sure if I could think of
anything worse than attacking the lock with a drill. You need one of:
1) Professional locksmith
2) Professional mechanic
3) Professional car thief

Your choice.

To try and do this yourself is a mistake.You might get lucky, or:
1) You can ruin the lock.
2) You can ruin other steering column components.
3)You can blow the air bag.

None of those options are cheap enough to make me want to try to do it
myself (were I in your shoes). This is one of those cases where paying
a pro is the way to go.