Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Buying new TV

On May 20, 7:49*am, wrote:
On May 19, 7:09*pm, Ron wrote:

On May 19, 6:57*pm, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 13:02:56 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 19, 4:00*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:32:55 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

Whats the difference ?
I can get a Sony LCD 32" *720p 60hz. for $ 404.00
A Vizio 32" 1080p 60 hz. for $494.00
or a Vizio 32" 1080p * 120 hz. for $ $548.00

Which is the best buy ?

Whats the difference between 720p & 1080p
& 60 hz.or 120 hz.
Is there really a difference i can see ?

IMO, get the 1080p. I can't speak for the brands...

Blu Ray disc require 1080p for the most vivid of pictures.

It makes NO difference on a TV that small.

My eyes can only see 24 colors. They (colors) sure look better at
1080p.

I'm after a 32" TV, mostly so I can fall asleep in front of it at
night :-/

A 720p would work!

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/-Hide quoted text -

Yes, exactly what I would expect. *The higher resolution really isn't
noticeable unless you have a much larger screen. *The other red
herring is the 60hz vs 120hz refresh rate. * While 120 is better, I
think from a practical standpoint, few people would notice the
difference.

But all this makes for good gaming of customers into whatever the
store wants to sell. *I bought a Sony LCD TV at Circuit City that was
120hz. * The salesman asks me if I need cables, for which I was
already prepared with an answer before entering the store because I
knew what was coming. * *I told him I already had an HDMI cable. * He
proceeds to tell me that because this TV is "120hz", the cable I have
won't work and I need a new Monster cable for $100+. * Obviously he
didn't know he was dealing with an electrical engineer that knows the
difference between the refresh rate of the display and the digital
transfer speed of HDMI. * And they have nothing to do with each
other. * I actually later bought the HDMI cable on Ebay for $15.

While I was paying for the TV, I watched another salesman pull that
scam on a senior citizen that was buying a $300 TV. *He wound up
paying probably $75 bucks for outrageously priced cables.

Meritline.com normally has 6' gold-plated 1.3 HDMI 3 for 6.99 and free
shipping. (bought 'em...use 'em)
Don't get ripped (unless your abs need it)!