Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Default What caps is this?

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:05:48 -0700, Paul Conners
wrote:

7 mm H, 4 mm W & D.

My guess(tm) is Tantalum. It's not ceramic as it appears to be
polarized. It's not metalized film, for the same reason. It's too
small for electrolytic. That leaves tantalum.

Being molded plastic, does this automatically rule out electrolytic?

Possibly, because I've never seen any electrolytics in Epoxy-B molded
packages. However, Phil Allison indicates that they might be
electolytics, so I can't be 100.0% certain. Worse, the original photo
shows a silk screen component outline that's somewhat larger than the
Siemens capacitors. I'm fairly sure that anything 7x4x4mm would be
tantalum, but the larger outline size could easily have been either
tantalum or electrolytic.

The originals are black and beveled at the front corners. None of these are.
Other than physical, not much to go on...

A Kemet substitution might be problematic as they don't have a
packages that's an exact match. Sorry for the diversion.

If you don't want to crack one open to see what's inside, and finding
an exact substitute seems to be a problem, then replacement with a
simple dip tantalum 1uf 50v should both fit and work. I don't have
any problems with substituting tantalum for aluminum electrolytic
because of the lower ESR of tantalum. However, going the other way
will probably not work.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D