Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Default What caps is this?

http://i50.tinypic.com/14jtc0l.jpg

Electrolytic? Tantalum?

Manufacturer? Data sheet?

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Paul Conners wrote:
http://i50.tinypic.com/14jtc0l.jpg

Electrolytic? Tantalum?

Manufacturer? Data sheet?

Thanks.

Siemens. At least from the trademark.
Possibly 1 UF at 40 VDC

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:17:22 -0700, Paul Conners
wrote:

http://i50.tinypic.com/14jtc0l.jpg

Electrolytic? Tantalum?

Manufacturer? Data sheet?

Thanks.

Siemens logo.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Paul Conners wrote:
http://i50.tinypic.com/14jtc0l.jpg

Electrolytic? Tantalum?

Manufacturer? Data sheet?

Siemens. At least from the trademark.
Possibly 1 UF at 40 VDC

Jeff

Type?

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 17:09:05 -0700, Paul Conners
wrote:

Paul Conners wrote:
http://i50.tinypic.com/14jtc0l.jpg

Electrolytic? Tantalum?

Manufacturer? Data sheet?

Siemens. At least from the trademark.
Possibly 1 UF at 40 VDC

Jeff

Type?

Nice photo. Dimensions would have been helpful.

My guess(tm) is Tantalum. It's not ceramic as it appears to be
polarized. It's not metalized film, for the same reason. It's too
small for electrolytic. That leaves tantalum.

Siemens sold their cazapitor division to EPCOS:
http://www.epcos.com
I couldn't find anything on the site resembling that capacitor.

I recall using similarly packaged caps back in the 1970's from Kemet.
I couldn't find any Epoxy B packaged tantalums on the Kemet site, but
there are similar packages with what looks like the right lead
spacing. See:
http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/weben/014FB383A945D0938525751600535A31/$file/F3296_ProductSelection.pdf#page=3
and look for "Tantalum Molded Radial" on Page 7. If you have a
Digikey or Mouser printed catalog, you might want to skim through the
pages and see if there's something similar. I'm too lazy to do it
right now.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"Paul Conners"

http://i50.tinypic.com/14jtc0l.jpg

Electrolytic? Tantalum?

Manufacturer? Data sheet?

Siemens. At least from the trademark.
Possibly 1 UF at 40 VDC

Type?

** Looks very much like some German made " long life " electros I see in
audio equipment made by Quad in the UK in the late 1970s and 1980s. Normal
electros, airtight sealed in a plastic housing.

Funny thing is, they nearly all failed ( high ESR or open) after 10 to 15
years.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Nice photo.

Thank you Canon! (A620, handheld.)

Dimensions would have been helpful.

7 mm H, 4 mm W & D.

My guess(tm) is Tantalum. It's not ceramic as it appears to be
polarized. It's not metalized film, for the same reason. It's too
small for electrolytic. That leaves tantalum.

Being molded plastic, does this automatically rule out electrolytic?

Siemens sold their cazapitor division to EPCOS:

http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homep...383A945D093852

5751600535A31/$file/F3296_ProductSelection.pdf#page=3
and look for "Tantalum Molded Radial" on Page 7.

Resemblance? Color?

The originals are black and beveled at the front corners. None of these are.
Other than physical, not much to go on...

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

** Looks very much like some German made " long life " electros I see in
audio equipment made by Quad in the UK in the late 1970s and 1980s. Normal
electros, airtight sealed in a plastic housing.

[Groan...] Just when I was convincing myself that they were poly-somethings.

Funny thing is, they nearly all failed ( high ESR or open) after 10 to 15
years.
.... Phil

Yeah, I suspect the electros on this PCB causing all sorts of problems. Just
hoping that all the "traditional" form-factor caps I'd replaced were all the
bad ones. Now this non-standard fare...

Thanks, Phil.

PC

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Dimensions would have been helpful.
7 mm H, 4 mm W & D.

7,3 x 4,2 x 4,7 mm
The Siemens type was "B 45 181"

My guess(tm) is Tantalum.

Yes.
There was an odd old rule "3 Ohm / Volt"
for minimal impendance to drive normal
tantals.
These claimed to be "schaltfest",
somewhat better quality.

MfG JRD
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"Paul Conners" wrote in message
** Looks very much like some German made " long life " electros I see in
audio equipment made by Quad in the UK in the late 1970s and 1980s.
Normal
electros, airtight sealed in a plastic housing.

[Groan...] Just when I was convincing myself that they were
poly-somethings.

Funny thing is, they nearly all failed ( high ESR or open) after 10 to 15
years.
.... Phil

Yeah, I suspect the electros on this PCB causing all sorts of problems.
Just
hoping that all the "traditional" form-factor caps I'd replaced were all
the
bad ones. Now this non-standard fare...

Thanks, Phil.

If you think one/some are faulty, make a note of value/voltage and break one
open - the difference between an alu' foil electro and a tant' should be
easy to see.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:05:48 -0700, Paul Conners
wrote:

7 mm H, 4 mm W & D.

My guess(tm) is Tantalum. It's not ceramic as it appears to be
polarized. It's not metalized film, for the same reason. It's too
small for electrolytic. That leaves tantalum.

Being molded plastic, does this automatically rule out electrolytic?

Possibly, because I've never seen any electrolytics in Epoxy-B molded
packages. However, Phil Allison indicates that they might be
electolytics, so I can't be 100.0% certain. Worse, the original photo
shows a silk screen component outline that's somewhat larger than the
Siemens capacitors. I'm fairly sure that anything 7x4x4mm would be
tantalum, but the larger outline size could easily have been either
tantalum or electrolytic.

The originals are black and beveled at the front corners. None of these are.
Other than physical, not much to go on...

A Kemet substitution might be problematic as they don't have a
packages that's an exact match. Sorry for the diversion.

If you don't want to crack one open to see what's inside, and finding
an exact substitute seems to be a problem, then replacement with a
simple dip tantalum 1uf 50v should both fit and work. I don't have
any problems with substituting tantalum for aluminum electrolytic
because of the lower ESR of tantalum. However, going the other way
will probably not work.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

I'm fairly sure that anything 7x4x4mm would be
tantalum...

They are tantalum:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-17/DSA-334079.pdf

The German electronics news group was the resource that broke the case...

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Worktop end caps Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 9 May 2nd 09 11:20 AM
Computer caps purtnoy Electronics Repair 2 February 5th 05 09:57 PM
Motherboard caps purtnoy Electronics Repair 5 February 3rd 05 06:48 PM
Welding caps.... B.B. Metalworking 26 January 25th 05 09:13 AM
Run caps? Paul Baygents Metalworking 75 April 11th 04 05:53 AM