Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying new TV

On May 19, 7:09*pm, Ron wrote:
On May 19, 6:57*pm, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 13:02:56 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 19, 4:00*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:32:55 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

Whats the difference ?
I can get a Sony LCD 32" *720p 60hz. for $ 404.00
A Vizio 32" 1080p 60 hz. for $494.00
or a Vizio 32" 1080p * 120 hz. for $ $548.00

Which is the best buy ?

Whats the difference between 720p & 1080p
& 60 hz.or 120 hz.
Is there really a difference i can see ?

IMO, get the 1080p. I can't speak for the brands...

Blu Ray disc require 1080p for the most vivid of pictures.

It makes NO difference on a TV that small.

My eyes can only see 24 colors. They (colors) sure look better at
1080p.

I'm after a 32" TV, mostly so I can fall asleep in front of it at
night :-/

A 720p would work!

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/- Hide quoted text -

Yes, exactly what I would expect. The higher resolution really isn't
noticeable unless you have a much larger screen. The other red
herring is the 60hz vs 120hz refresh rate. While 120 is better, I
think from a practical standpoint, few people would notice the
difference.

But all this makes for good gaming of customers into whatever the
store wants to sell. I bought a Sony LCD TV at Circuit City that was
120hz. The salesman asks me if I need cables, for which I was
already prepared with an answer before entering the store because I
knew what was coming. I told him I already had an HDMI cable. He
proceeds to tell me that because this TV is "120hz", the cable I have
won't work and I need a new Monster cable for $100+. Obviously he
didn't know he was dealing with an electrical engineer that knows the
difference between the refresh rate of the display and the digital
transfer speed of HDMI. And they have nothing to do with each
other. I actually later bought the HDMI cable on Ebay for $15.

While I was paying for the TV, I watched another salesman pull that
scam on a senior citizen that was buying a $300 TV. He wound up
paying probably $75 bucks for outrageously priced cables.