Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Urgent help needed! 1996 Chevy Silverado ignition key wont turn. My truck is stranded.

a professional locksmith is worth his fee in this case - for $100 or less,
he or she will do it right - the money you save by guessing at it yourself
can easily be lost if you make a mistake.

if you really want to do it yourself, get the service manual from the dealer
and READ IT - I have the manual for my suburban and it is excellent - there
is about 2,000 pages of information, properly indexed with procedures for
everything.

What you are proposing to do is completely wrong, will greatly increase the
labor to fix the problem, and will guarantee that your truck needs to be
towed - additional expense.

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a 1996 chevy 4x4 silverado. The key is ont he off position and
wont turn. I bought a new cylinder, but in order to replace the old
cylinder you have to be able to put it in the "run" position which I
cant do. I have it the column and steering wheel all to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I will have to drill it out I guess. If I cant get
it in run where exactly would I drill? Directly in the key hole?

I really appreciate any help. My truck is stuck at work and I plan on
leaving early in the morning to work on it.

Also , does anyone know if the air bag needs to be removed?

I really appreciate it!