Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ryobi Blower Only Runs With Choke Closed

On May 19, 9:28*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 19, 9:09*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 19, 9:00*am, Jules Richardson

wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:33:13 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"The carb to the head gasket is simple..."

I don't recall even seeing a gasket. There was a thin metal plate
between the carb and the head that I had to realign to get the bolts
through, but I don't recall a gasket. Maybe I just wasn't thinking about
it and missed it.

Just as a gotcha, make sure the plate (or any kind of gasket) is the
right way round when you reassemble; I've seen a few engines where the
plate/gasket can go in one of two positions, but one way round it'll
block off the port coming from the engine that the carb needs to run the
fuel pump (I got one thing in where previous owner had taken things apart
to solve some problem and reassembled with the gasket the wrong way
round).

If it's a little Walbro carb, I'm almost certain I have tuning
instructions scribbled down on a bit of paper up in the 'shop. Debris
gets in those things, rubber diaphragms go weak, needles wear, the seal
between the carb and engine goes bad so they don't pump gas properly....
I've developed a healthy dislike for small IC engines :-)

cheers

Jules

Funny, I'm the opposite. *I love them. *For a homeowner use the piston/
cylinder will last longer than most people. *The 2 stroke design has
only a handful of moving parts. *I have a chain saw that is over 30
years old and still runs just as good as it did day 1. *I have others
that are over 20. *They have tremendous power for their size and
weight. *The little carbs are all just about the same and a breeze to
remove and clean. *Keeping the gas clean, adding some stabilizer, and
they usually will go years and years without any problems.- Hide quoted text -

"Keeping the gas clean, adding some stabilizer, and they usually
will go years and years without any problems"

"Usually" is the operative word here.

I bought the blower off Craigslist at the beginning of last fall and
it ran fine for the entire season until it just wouldn't start after a
few hours of use.

I was more than 3/4 through the 2nd (3rd?) 1-gallon container of gas
for the season so I don't think bad gas was the problem, unless an
actual piece of debris got into the carb.

What I still find strange is that it wouldn't start at all a few
months ago but now it starts but only runs with the choke closed. Yes,
I changed the plug and sprayed the carb with cleaner, but I guess I'll
never know why it wouldn't start last year since that's no longer the
problem I'm chasing.- Hide quoted text -

Spaying carb cleaner in or around a still assembled carb is pretty
much a waste of time unless the only problem is sticking linkage. And
my 30 year old chain saw is on it's 2nd plug. Plug's don't go "bad"
all that easily. Plugs do get dirty if you use too much oil but a few
swipes with a wire brush is usually all that is needed. If the
electrode is not visibly worn then the plug can be cleaned and
reused. But I won't argue that these motors are not for everyone.

You have a carb problem. Debris or water has gotten into it.
Something is clogged or stuck.