Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ryobi Blower Only Runs With Choke Closed

On May 19, 9:00*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:33:13 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"The carb to the head gasket is simple..."

I don't recall even seeing a gasket. There was a thin metal plate
between the carb and the head that I had to realign to get the bolts
through, but I don't recall a gasket. Maybe I just wasn't thinking about
it and missed it.

Just as a gotcha, make sure the plate (or any kind of gasket) is the
right way round when you reassemble; I've seen a few engines where the
plate/gasket can go in one of two positions, but one way round it'll
block off the port coming from the engine that the carb needs to run the
fuel pump (I got one thing in where previous owner had taken things apart
to solve some problem and reassembled with the gasket the wrong way
round).

If it's a little Walbro carb, I'm almost certain I have tuning
instructions scribbled down on a bit of paper up in the 'shop. Debris
gets in those things, rubber diaphragms go weak, needles wear, the seal
between the carb and engine goes bad so they don't pump gas properly...
I've developed a healthy dislike for small IC engines :-)

cheers

Jules

Funny, I'm the opposite. I love them. For a homeowner use the piston/
cylinder will last longer than most people. The 2 stroke design has
only a handful of moving parts. I have a chain saw that is over 30
years old and still runs just as good as it did day 1. I have others
that are over 20. They have tremendous power for their size and
weight. The little carbs are all just about the same and a breeze to
remove and clean. Keeping the gas clean, adding some stabilizer, and
they usually will go years and years without any problems.