Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Ryobi Blower Only Runs With Choke Closed

On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:33:13 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"The carb to the head gasket is simple..."

I don't recall even seeing a gasket. There was a thin metal plate
between the carb and the head that I had to realign to get the bolts
through, but I don't recall a gasket. Maybe I just wasn't thinking about
it and missed it.

Just as a gotcha, make sure the plate (or any kind of gasket) is the
right way round when you reassemble; I've seen a few engines where the
plate/gasket can go in one of two positions, but one way round it'll
block off the port coming from the engine that the carb needs to run the
fuel pump (I got one thing in where previous owner had taken things apart
to solve some problem and reassembled with the gasket the wrong way
round).

If it's a little Walbro carb, I'm almost certain I have tuning
instructions scribbled down on a bit of paper up in the 'shop. Debris
gets in those things, rubber diaphragms go weak, needles wear, the seal
between the carb and engine goes bad so they don't pump gas properly...
I've developed a healthy dislike for small IC engines :-)

cheers

Jules