Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Ryobi Blower Only Runs With Choke Closed

On May 18, 7:10*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 18, 6:55*am, ransley wrote:

On May 17, 10:45*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need some advice from the small engine gurus in this group.

The History:

My Ryobi 340BV blower ran fine all during the fall. Towards the end of
the season, I had started it multiple times over the course of a
couple of hours, so it was fully warmed up.

I shut it down for a few minutes and it wouldn't start back up. It
turned over, but wouldn't start, no matter where I set the 3 position
choke.

I tried to start it a few times over the next few days, making sure it
was cold and following the cold start procedure. No luck, it wouldn't
start.

It was the end of the season, so I dumped the gas and stuck it in the
shed, where it's sat for the last 4+ months.

The Current Problem:

Yesterday I pulled it out, changed the spark plug, sprayed the
carburetor with cleaner and put in fresh 32:1 gas/oil.

I pumped it up, closed the choke and it started on 3 pulls.

The problem now is that it only runs with the choke fully closed. As
soon as I move the choke lever to Partial or fully Open, it gives up a
deep throaty sound for half a second as it stalls. It's almost like a
kill switch. There's no surging or rough running, it just shuts down.

I let it warm up until it started to labor a bit and then tried to
slowly open the choke. As soon as the choke started to open, it
stalled.

I can start it over and over again with the choke closed, but I
obviously can't run it that way.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you run he carb dry in the fall, and push the primer after it died
and restarted it to be sure the fuel bowl has no gas, I bet not, and
your carb is varnished up and needs a clean-rebuild.- Hide quoted text -

The carbs on those small 2 strokes almost never have a bowl. *But it
is probably a clogged jet. *If they are not very old you can often get
away with reusing the gaskets. *I would not expect your "mechanic in a
bottle" to fix it but I suppose it's possible. *Imho most of those
things are snake oil, if gas won't disolve the problem, other stuff
usually won't either. *I suspect you'll need to disasemble the carb
and blow out the passages and jets with some carb cleaner using that
little red piece of pipe that comes with the carb cleaner.
Occasionaly I run into ones where dried gas/junk has reduced the size
of the main jet and I have had to clean it out with a small piece of
wire.- Hide quoted text -

My Sthil and Echos do, and leaving gas in any carb overwinter will
ruin all of them.