Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Aloris AXA16 vs. AXA16N

On Mon, 17 May 2010 13:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

I think that Aquamet might be a form of 316, but I don't know of it's
work properties. (It might have been a propeller shaft of something
similar). But smoothing it up will be all I need to do anyway.

Aquamet is a family of proprietary alloys made by Armco, not a single
material. The most common, Aquamet 22, makes machining 316 SS seem fun
by comparison. Back when I was working with the stuff I had a huge
turret lathe available to turn it, which made the job bearable, but
not enjoyable. It's incredibly tough which makes it prone to making
extremely long, tough chips.

--
Ned Simmons