Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Vacuum pump maintenance / repair

On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:02:33 -0400, Joe wrote
the following:

On Mon, 17 May 2010 12:03:27 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I suppose you have lightning rods on your workbench and a piece of
antistatic mat on your roof.

As a matter of fact, I do have a (single) lightning rod on my
workbench. A few weeks ago, I found a really cool antique twisted
copper rod at the flea market. It was six feet tall, had a
multicolored glass sphere about 4 inches diameter, in addition to a
clear spool-shaped glass piece. The forked tip elements were curved
inwards toward each other. I never have been able to justify paying
the price dealers get for those old rods, but when he said "Five
bucks", I just about tripped over other shoppers to give him the
money. It now is lying on the workbench while I try to figure out how
and where I will mount it.

Cool. I'd never seen one until you mentioned it. Here's a
hand-crafted one: http://www.metalhands.com/lightningrod.htm

I don't have an antistatic mat on my roof, however; since both my
house and my garage roofs are metal, it would be somewhat redundant.

It's properly grounded?

--
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter