Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default OT Vacuum pump maintenance / repair

On Mon, 17 May 2010 12:03:27 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Joe wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:39:41 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2010 02:02:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

jk wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

BS. There are no fish or sharks swimming in Florida's air. OTOH,
ESD isn't a big problem here.

Oh???? Isn't that where one of the nation's top lightning research
centers is?

Woooooooooooooooooosh! ESD isn't lightning.

But lightning is ESD, sure enough. BIG ESD.

How often have you had lighting hit your workbench and leave
lecetronics working, but damaged?

Magnitude notwithstanding, lightning IS an electrostatic discharge.

And the sun is a flashlight?

Not quite; the sun is a big fusion reactor, although, come to think of
it, both give off light by incandescence (assuming the flashlight is
the old style).

I suppose you have lightning rods on your workbench and a piece of
antistatic mat on your roof.

As a matter of fact, I do have a (single) lightning rod on my
workbench. A few weeks ago, I found a really cool antique twisted
copper rod at the flea market. It was six feet tall, had a
multicolored glass sphere about 4 inches diameter, in addition to a
clear spool-shaped glass piece. The forked tip elements were curved
inwards toward each other. I never have been able to justify paying
the price dealers get for those old rods, but when he said "Five
bucks", I just about tripped over other shoppers to give him the
money. It now is lying on the workbench while I try to figure out how
and where I will mount it.

I don't have an antistatic mat on my roof, however; since both my
house and my garage roofs are metal, it would be somewhat redundant.

Joe