Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
Lou[_2_] Lou[_2_] is offline

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

"Bob F" wrote in message
Lou wrote:

In the US according to a quick web search, a full sized Miele
dishwasher can run from $1,249 to $2,149 depending on the model. A
more typical dishwasher costs $300-$400, making the Miele over five
times as expensive. That difference will buy an awful lot of water -
in my area, about 849,000 US gallons (3,213,814 liters).

When you figure in the sewage charge, my water is WAY more expensive than

that.
About $12.50 per ccf, which is 748 gallons, or about 1.7 cents / gallon.

Heating
it cost significantly more than that in addition, I'm sure. $3.50 of that

$12.50
is the actual water charge.

Where I live, water and sewer are billed together, there's no way to break
them out. The sewage charge is based on the water used - there's no meter
on the drains. That means when I fill my pool or water my lawn, I'm also
paying a charge for sewer. I base my estimates on the township water
department - it's a long story, but when I needed an estimate of how much it
would cost to fill the pool, the price they came up with was twenty bucks
for my 20,000 gallon pool. That works out to a cent per gallon.

The charges go up with increasing usage in a period - draw on that 20,000
gallons over a period of years (as a dishwasher would) and the price per
gallon would be less. I've never asked what it would cost to fill my pool
43 time during one billing period.