Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - frustrated and baffled over garage door springs

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 May 2010 00:13:24 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote the following:
I suspect that you don't see kits for this as typically one piece garage
doors use the extension springs and the sectional doors use the torsion
springs.

Oh, duh! I'd forgotten that the one-pieces were the only kind to use
extension springs. They had no tracks, which are required for
sectionals and torsions. His conversion will be highly unlikely.

It's time for a new door if you want torsion springs, Bob.

My garage door is a four-section type with extension springs. So are most of
those in my neighborhood -- except the ones that have converted to power
doors. These are old houses with detached garages.

Yeah, around here there are NO one-piece doors, all 4 or 5 sections.
Split between tension and torsion springs.

Bob