Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

keith wrote:
On May 17, 1:04 am, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:07:29 -0700, "Bob F"

On Sat, 15 May 2010 22:42:56 -0500, (Gary
Heston) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:47:19 -0700, Oren wrote:
[ ... ]
I'm not expert. I'm not sure of the word that would describe my
PEX manifold (not looking at my *.PDF). There is a loop H/C at
the top. I wish I knew the exact wording, but I know cold water
is looped back to the heater, when hot is demanded.

If you can find a reference for this I'd appreciate it.

Gosh that "word" escapes me now.

I believe that's a convection circulating system.

Large buildings use a circulating pump in the hot water piping,
with a large central boiler as the source.

But for hot water? Residential? It's possible, sure, just would
like to see how this thing works. Sounds too complicated to be
reliable.

As I re-plumb my house, I have added a recirculation pump and extra
return line. If I'm going to want hot water, I push a button, and
30 seconds later (or less) I can turn on the hot and have it hot
in 2 seconds.

At the cost of twice as much wasted hot water. I understand how a
recirculation pump works. How's this magic manifold work?

At the cost of no wasted hot water, in fact no wasted $.017/gallon
water. I don't have a clue what the "magic manifold" you speak of is.

When you turn off the hot water you now have twice as much "waste" hot
water in the lines. Read the thread.

No, I don't. The pump turns off before the return pipe is filled. And I haven't
dumped the water in the pipe down the drain waiting for it to get hot. Try
thinking.